Saturday, June 15, 2013

Roadtrip Livin

So my first road trip obstacle occurred today. That was suddenly being BROKE! hahaha I hate talking finances with anyone other than my close friends (because I'm always broke and it's embarrassing) but I think finances are very roadtrip relavant. So here's my story....

I've been on my own since I was about 20 years old and it's been rough. The only way you make money is having a degree (eventhough it means next to nothing most times) and I've been working on multiple degrees since I graduated high school. I wish I could have just decided on what I wanted to study when I was 18 because my life would have been easier I think. Either way, here I am, 7 years later, on the right path to happiness and hitting bumps in the road financially.

I know most of us have been in that position when you look at your bank statements and think you have enough and then suddenly your bank withdrawals transactions a week or two later and you are out 200 then you expected. Well this wasn't one of those times hahah I knew I should have waited a week to start my trip but being impatient I didn't wait. So here I am in Utah getting emails from my bank saying they are overdrafting for me.....awesome!!

Thank God I have an awesome employer who will cut me a check a week early. So now I have money to get new tires (which I desperately needed) and gas to get to Virginia haha. I know, sounds ridiculous starting a road trip without knowing that you have the funds for such a journey but I never thought of that. I think when you know what you want and will do ANYTHING to accomplish it, money is not an issue.

When I started to volunteer at the Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley I never thought my journey would take me to where I am now, but now that I am so involved in the work there is next to nothing that will stop me. Additionally, money has become a non-issue for me because I am SO used to being poor that it's a condition I am perpetually prepared for. Either way, thanks to my awesome boss I will be on the road Sunday morning, headed to Denver with all new tires :)
This fall will be far less stressful as I have a second job at my school. Until then, I am proud to be a cheap a**! So for the duration of my trip I will be posting great money saving tips. The first being having a cooler of drinks/food and books on tape!

No comments:

Post a Comment