Thursday, June 6, 2013

On the Road - Lopez Lake Recreation Area, Arroyo Grande, CA

Burning in the American heart is a hunger to move, to leave it all behind, to head out: free and unanchored.

So I'm finally getting on the road! I'm excited for the adventures and opportunities that this trip will present to me and to start it off right I made a quick stop up the Central Coast of California to hit up one of my favorite camping spots.

During the summer of 2008 I was studying 3D Animation and planning on a career in the video game industry. I randomly applied to an office position that ended up being a Park Aide position at Lopez Lake Recreation Area located in Arroyo Grande, CA (not far from where I was living in San Luis Obispo at the time). That summer my love for nature was reawakened and my future became a big question mark once again. In the years following, as I worked in closed office spaces, I would look back fondly at the few months I spent working at that beautiful park and longing to be back in such a wonderful work environment. This longing would eventually push me toward the career in biology that I am currently pursuing.

If you've ever driven up the Central Coast, along 101 or the PCH, you will understand just how beautiful and worthwhile a drive it is. If you've never done this, shame on you!! Get on it! You'll catch glimpses of golden rolling hillsides and quiet sandy beaches at the base of rocky cliffs. The air is fresh and pure and one can't help but roll down all the windows and breathe it all in.

Photo credit: 100thingstodoinla.blogspot.com

The road through Arroyo Grande and out to Lopez Lake is pleasant and winding - perfect for a long drive on a sunny day. Entering the campgrounds you catch a glimpse of a pretty little building where the Rangers and Park Staff operate out of and visitors check-in.


I couldn't help but crack a huge grin as soon as I parked, so many good memories.
As I'm catching up with old friends, guess who else greets me and a few other campers?! A small family of Mule deer, a mother and her two fawn. They come no more than 10 feet away before jaunting across the road to a tastier looking patch of vegetation. My heart melted.


Lopez Lake has a wonderful diversity of wildlife that you will literally stumble upon. Various raptors including bald eagle, osprey, and turkey vultures can be spotted in different areas of the park and black bear have been spotted frequently this season, as well, and bobcat in previous years. Down by the lake, you can spot numerous species of water fowl nestled on the warm, sandy beaches and barn swallows cruising inches above the water picking up insects. Wild turkeys are a common sight and a variety of reptiles are easily found around the campgrounds. Lopez Lake boasts an excellent interpretative program lead by the Rangers and Ranger Aides. Campfire shows and Ranger lead nature hikes are just a couple activities that are regularly scheduled throughout the year. This isn't just a great place to camp and fish but a beautiful environment to learn about and get a little closer to the wild world all around us.

After asking about bald eagle and black bear sightings, I took a little drive through my old stomping grounds and snapped a few pictures. Enjoy :)

 


 







No comments:

Post a Comment