Tuesday, July 16, 2013

End of Week 3

This week was tough but once again I survived :) Started it off with a quick trip to a suburb of Richmond to deliver those baby bats for transport to a bat rehabber.



This state is so pretty - loved the chance to explore on the center's dime and time :) Also, very nice to get away from the daily grind even for a few hours. Dropped the bats off at the Winterfield Vet Hospital and then enjoyed a leisurely cruise back to the hospital.


When I got back there were random jobs for me to finish/work on like acclimating this little cottontail....ugghhhh I love their little ears, it's ridiculous. 


I forget why I was in these pens...I think this is when I was moving Eastern Screech Owls....either way love seeing these dudes all shrunk down and camoflauged. When they get alarmed they puff up and look like little Muppet creatures :)


Amy and I have been having lots of fun these last couple weeks. She heads back to Canada in a week...I'll miss her like crazy but we've had a lot of fun and she's taught me a lot and kept me sane


Yea this European Starling likes people waaaay too much haha


This is Jordan displaying our fancy shmancy hat we use when working with baby raptors who are very prone to imprinting. To avoid this we disguise our faces so they have a harder time imprinting to humans and can be more successful when released back into the wild. Stylish right?!


Little bee on a Hosta plant outside the center :)


On fawn/bear duty for a day this week so we headed out into the forest to look for good browse to bring back for our animals :) Always a good time dragging trees back through the forest and then double checking for ticks ;)


Yes it is this green :) This area has been clear cut to make space for the new bear enclosure under construction. It is going to be amazing...when it is finally completed. These cubs NEED more room badly. The facilities we have right now are just not big enough for 8 messy, rambunctious bear cubs. They need room to explore and grow and exercise....plus it is getting more and more dangerous for us to be confined with them in such close quarters so it will be better for everyone once they get into their new enclosures.

 



This was one of the worst days so far....I was seriously murderous by the end of the day but fun shades and silly scrubs can help you to ignore the idiots and focus on the good times


Time to put these bears/fawns on leashes and let them browse for themselves!!! lol


June bugs for daaaaays


And pretty little blooms scattered around the property


Poor little flicker but cmon...super cute!

This was a rough week and I'm emotionally exhausted....won't lie when I say I almost walked for reals. But I'm no quitter and I won't let someone else ruin this experience for me. I expected the work to be difficult and physically taxing but not my relationships with coworkers....and at the end of the day I have zero energy for problems other then surviving 10 hr days on my feet in near 100% humidity. I spent two hours on the phone with my parents today trying to trouble shoot this situation, playing with the idea of leaving early....then I remembered I don't care hahaha I'm going to see this through, I sacrificed SO much getting here and I will reap the full benefits. So if I have to go to my happy place everyday I'm at work then so be it. My happy place is full of fuzzy animals, hott men and french fries so I'll be okay hahah But seriously.

I'm delirious with exhaustion still. Got a fun filled day planned with Amy tomorrow so off to bed I go. Have a wonderful week everyone!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment