Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 23 - Gettin in the Groove

>> Remember: clicking on the pics will open them in full size!<<

It's Monday....oh wait, Thursday...right?! haha I have lost all concept of time in the real world. So it's my Monday at the start of my 4th week at the Wildlife Center of Virginia. My official training is over but I still learn so much everyday. Keeping this in mind helps me push through the stress: mental and physical haha. I'm going to keep a chiropractor veeery busy when I get home :P

I started out on meals again today and spent a lot of time with turtles! They are so strange and foreign to me....unlike most of the creatures I'm used to working with. But so adorable!

This little dude is seriously 3 inches long haha
Hung out on my break with the resident Eastern Ratsnakes we keep in the library :) Albus and Severus. Gorgeous snakes and so sneaky!! Albus gets out of his enclosure regularly and we never know how but have to keep reinforcing their cage to try to prevent it.




There he goes again...trying to find a new way out!

After break I went on pickup & exercise with one of our volunteers. We exercised our EASO's (Eastern Screech Owls) and they are so cute it's stupid!! Also got to exercise one of our kestrels...Amazing to witness their agility up close. I'm gaining a true respect for so many of these smaller and, maybe, less appreciated/recognized birds of prey.


 After pickup/exercise I headed out to the forest where we're clearing ground for the new 2-acre bear enclosure. It will be fantastic and so perfect for the growing cubs. I couldn't help but think of Fern Gully when I got to the site though. hahaha I'm a nerd, sorry.



Took a lunch (at 2pm) finally and look who we found escaping!!! Albus! That trouble maker! We watched him squeeze through the small space between the glass and the uppr shelf hah He actually squeezed pee out of himself to fit through!! That's what I call dedication!


Spent the rest of the day in ICU taking care of these Northern Flickers! Loved this guy. He's the one with the cast/leg bandage from a previous post. He is ravenous and will sit by the door being SO noisy until we come and stuff him full of worms. I would open the door and there he was, like a puppy barking for attention. Loved it!!


Also got this new cottontail bun!! I almost died from cuteness. Crossing my fingers for this little one, didn't look to be in great shape when I left tonight.


Anyways, just another day :) We moved almost all the fawns into deer yards so we're weaning them off formula and getting them on solids so they'll be ready for release in September! I'm finally getting the hang of things at this new hospital and feeling more comfortable with the day-to-day. Still ignoring the ....personnel problems we have to deal with. There's no time to waste on useless people ever, let alone in this situation. Unfortunately, I can't ignore my aches and pains! I feel the strongest I ever have but also the oldest!!! haha Need to start iceing my knees after work ....or my whole body lol As long as I don't injure myself again!

Just finished payroll and I'm off to bed. Bleh!! Need more sleeeep!! Thinkin that won't happen for another 4-5 weeks.

Oh and check out our tufted titmouse (pics of it in previous posts) in his outside aviary being a happy and very bossy titmouse :) He actually landed on my head, shoulder, and back chirping and vibrating with his wingbeats until I gave him my undivided attention :P


Have a great week all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment